Project Title: Climate Change Adaption focusing Safe Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion in Coastal area of Bangladesh (CCA –WaSH)
Nature of the project: Disaster and Climate Change
Goal : Ensuring community participation to ensure sustainable WaSH capacity resilient to climate change impacts for the vulnerable communities in Assasuni Upazilla of Satkhira district in three years.
Funded by: WaterAid, Unilever
Project Area: 5 unions (Budhata, Kulla, Kadakati, Bardal and Ashasuni Sadar) of Ashasuni Upazila under Satkhira District.
Project Period: October 2011 to March 2017
Project Beneficiaries: Total : 35911, Female: 18158, Male: 17753
- UP keeps separate budget for WaSH activity. Earlier they had no practice on it. They thought govt. is only responsible authority to deliver sanitation facility to peoples.
- Change hand washing practice of students and their family members.
- Community and also govt. official became aware on climate change and its impact.
- Community are expending money for sanitary latrine for HH use.
- Transparency, accountability and coordination with other projects are working on climate change issues.
- Discuss on project activities regarding Primary Schools.
- Political unrest situation, fundamentalist group.
Lessons learnt :
- Before starting any activity in school, SMC orientation should be completed. It helps to increase SMC and community participation with school WaSH activity.
- Adolescent club members and mothers club members can play important role to convince others adolescent and woman regarding hygiene and menstrual related awareness.
- School students catch hygiene learning rapidly and they practice their learning and try to impose it on other member of their families.